No new analysis tonight, but I have a couple posts I want to pass on, so I figured I might as well supplement them with a few more that I’ve enjoyed throughout the week. Most of these are taken from the Daily Feast, which I’ve been writing putting together every morning for the TeamRankings.com blog, so if you followed me over there, a lot of them will seem familiar.
First, the ones directly involving yours truly.
1. Jesse Newell of the Lawrence Journal-World and KUSports.com has apparently been following Project Defensive Score Sheet, because he has compiled the Kansas defensive stats for all the Big 12 games from my charts. It’s something I’d been meaning to do, but kept putting off, usually in favor of, you know, actually watching some basketball. I try to do that now and then. I’m glad he took the initiative, because he did a much more thorough job on the individual player write ups than I would have.
2. This one is a day late and a dollar short. Here’s my third article for NBCSports.com, which previews the two-days-ago North Carolina at Duke game. In hindsight, I think I did a pretty good job. I mean, doesn’t this sound like a bit like a recap of the actual game:
“… the Tar Heels, especially Harrison Barnes, have been playing out of their minds since Kendall Marshall took over at point guard. But that new car smell has to fade away some time, and Cameron Indoor seems a pretty reasonable place for that to happen.”
The Tarheels went to Durham, played out of their minds for a half, and then faded in the second as the Cameron Crazies went, well, crazy. So, maybe a day late and a dollar short was a misnomer. Two days late and a dollar up might be more accurate. Because if you placed a bet on the latest college basketball odds after reading my article, with the way I hyped up UNC, I bet you took the Tarheels and the points (+10). Win for you.
Now, here are a few other stories from this week that I want to make sure you caught:
- Maybe the most exciting news of the week took place off the court, with the release of this year’s new and improved NCAA tournament schedule. I agree 100% with this headline.
- Like Oregon’s court? Liar. Either way, check out what a similar design aesthetic might have produced at some other schools.
- Nathan Walker of The Basketball Distribution created a fun little junk stat called Offensive Decision%. Basically, good actions divided by total actions. Go check out the details. He also came up with a new way of estimating individual defensive ratings from box score stats. To be honest, I haven’t really looked at the equations in depth to see if they check out, so for now I’m taking his word for it. But he’s always right, so that should be fine.
- One of my favorite quotes is from the Chaitanya Charitamrita: “Essential truth spoken concisely is true eloquence.” By that definition, this may be the most elegant website in the history of the internet: DidTheCavsWinLastNight.com
Have a good weekend, folks. Tomorrow should be a fun one.